James Carman is a director/director of photography based in New York City and he is a member of the Producer’s Guild. His work spans many styles and formats, including features, commercials, TV and documentaries. His movies have premiered and won awards in the top film festivals throughout the world.
Unitat, Producer/Director/DP/Editor, James Carman, Promo for ecological, portable living structure. Designed by Mark Parrish of Point B.
Williams Agency for Upscale Real Estate Commercials:
- 169 Amsterdam, Manhattan: Dir. Chez Costanzo, DP James Carman
- River Park High Rise, Brooklyn: Dir. Chez Costanzo, DP James Carman
- Central Park Tower, Manhattan: Dir. Chez Costanzo, DP James Carman
- Four Seasons Hotel, Costa Rica: DP
- Four Seasons Hotel, New York: Dir. Chez Costanzo, DP James Carman
- City Point Highrise, Brooklyn: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman
- Ocean Wide Complex, LA: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman
- The Four Seasons, London: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman
- 432 Park Place: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman; luxury apts w/ architect Jean Novelle
- Steiner Luxury Apartments: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman, shot at Steiner Film Studio
- Sugar Beach Viceroy Resort: Dir. Chez Costanzo, Producer/DP James Carman, Resort in St. Lucia
- Four Seasons Hotel: Photographer James Carman, updated look for Palm Beach hotel
Sprite: Dir. Matthias Clamer, Animated soft drink spot
Jivamukti: Producer/Director James Carman, 6 spots for the renowned yoga school
Washington State Lottery: Dir. Glenn Rockowitz, DP/Producer James Carman
Target: Dir. Mathias Clamer, green screen commercial
Guess: Director/DP James Carman, with supermodel Laetitia Casta
Parenting Magazine: Producer/Director James Carman, how mom’s cope
WebMD: Dir. Jason Kelly, Curious Pictures and Tomato Films
MTV Networks: Dir. Matt Heron, table top food spot
Lucent Technologies: Producer/Director James Carman
Pfizer: Dir. David Sandbank, enhancing quality of life
Sparta: Dir. Terry Richardson, for London clothing store ICM
Unintended: Dir., Anya Murmann, DP, James Carman. Feature about childhood trauma and emotional healing. Woodstock and Portland Film Fest.
First Time in New York, Dir. Philip Stoezel, DP NYC Unit for the German Musical.
The Misandrists: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, comedy about a halfway house for girls
• World Premiere at the Berlin Film Festival 2017
FluidQ: Dir. Shu Lea Cheang, dystopian Sci-Fi feature about addictive diseases
• World Premiere Berlin Film Festival 2017
Hollywood and Vine: Dir. Matt Jacobs, black comedy set in LA night buses
• Winner of Best Comedy 2017, Hollywood Reel Independent Film Festival
MoMA Retrospective of Bruce LaBruce films, including 5 features films shot by
James Carman, screened in spring 2015 at the Museum of Modern Art
The Sweet Life: Dir. Rocco Simonelli, a romantic comedy starring Joan Jett
Gisela; Dir. Isabel Stever, drama about lost youth for German television, WDR
• Premiered at Berlin Film Festival
• Won Crossing Visions award and Best Picture at Moscow Film Festival
LA Zombie: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, The horror of LA. Toronto Film Festival, NA premiere,
• Locarno Film Festival, World Premiere
Otto, or Up With Dead People: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, a romantic horror film
• World premiere at Sundance and European Premiere at Berlin Film Festival
• Won Vision Award at the Rio Film Fest and Best Picture, Milano G&L FFest
Hustler White: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, drama about the hustling scene in LA
• Sundance World premiere and screened at the Berlin, Toronto and Cannes
Latin Boys Go to Hell: Dir. Ela Troyano, passions run high in the New York barrios
• Berlin Film Festival world premiere, Toronto Film Festival
The Night Larry Kramer Kissed Me: Dir. Tim Kirkman, film of the Obie award winning play
Big Money Hustlas: Dir. John Cafiero, comedy with the Insane Clown Posse and the Jerky Boys, produced by Island Records
Raspberry Reich: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, satire about a German terrorist cell
• Sundance World Premiere and Berlin Film Festival Premiere
Skin Flic: Dir. Bruce LaBruce, Satire about British Skin Heads
• Edinburgh Film Fest World Premiere, Rotterdam Film Festival
Nancy and Frank: Dir. Wolf Gremm, European Coproduction, romantic drama
New York DP/ aerial cinematography
Circle’s Short Circuit: Dir. Caspar Strake, experimental feature film
• Theatrical screening at MoMA and Anthology Film Archives, NYC
Hacks: Dir. Glenn Rockawitz, comedy about horrible stand-up comics.
• Digidance Film Festival and NY Independent Film Festival
Bloodlines: Dir. Darryl De Angelo, Mafia crime movie
The Hidden Hand: Alien Contact and the Government Cover-Up: Producer/Director James Carman
Winner of 5 Awards, including the Philip K. Dick award for best documentary and
the EBE award for best documentary. Top 10 Bestseller on Amazon Prime and Netflix for 3 weeks.
Simple Recipes for Joy and Tribe Gathering: Producer/Director, James Carman.
Book premiere and performance with Sting, Sharon Gannon and Krishna Das
PRIME: Produced/directed movie about United Nations conference, Global Compact
Wind Shadows: Dir. Carole Ryavec, about creating a wildlife corridor in Kenya
Yoga Is: Dir. Suzanne Bryant-Cunha, about the state of yoga in India and America.
Distributed by Magnolia Pictures
Al Capp: Dir. Caitlin Manning, about the cartoonist who created L’il Abner
The Net: Dir. Lutz Dammbeck, about the fight for internet control, ARTE
Breaking the Rules: Dir. Michael Almareda, a film about the 60’s with Peter Fonda.
Eruf: Dir. Kai Wiesinger, about Hasidic Jews and the rules of Shabbat
Berlin Film Festival World Premiere
Talmud: Dir. Yahuda Safati, about the origins of the Talmud, Canal Plus and ARTE
Autism: Dir. Gary Keys, about the parents of autistic children
Menachem and Fred: Dir. Ronit Kertsner, two brothers who survived the holocaust
What is Yoga?: Dir. Mary Bosakowski, Jivamukti Yoga with Willem Dafoe.
La Lupe: Dir. Ela Troyano, Documentary for PBS about the Cuban singer
• Won Alma Award for Latin Documentaries
ModeRNE: Dir. Miriam Dehne, ARTE, Fashion documentary on the AS4 designers
Asana, Sacred Dance: Dir. James Carman, yoga dance film.
The Marriage Makers: Dir. Miriam Dehne, about the business of marriage,
Heros: Dir. Marie Cactus, about heroic ideals, ARTE/ZDF
Unorthodox: Special Effects DP for the Netflix Show. Emmy for Best Director, Maria Schraeder. Nominated for 9 Emmies.
Edison Partners TV Show: Producer/Dir./JP, James Carman. Financial talk show integrating speakers from all over the world.
Rabyie: Special Effects DP for the Netflix Show.
The United Nations: 2013-2020, Switcher, Colorist, and Cameraman.
Thomson Reuters: Lighting Designer, Editor and Camera Operator
United Nations TV: Cameraman and quality control supervisor
Aljazeera America: Producer, Cameraman, Editor
PrivCap: Prod/Director, Financial TV show in Sao Paulo, DC, Boston and NYC
Intel/HP Live Beats Series: Lighting Director for music acts Train, Weezer, and One
Diet Coke Style Series: Lighting Director, with Heidi Klum, Hilary Duff, Robin Thicke, Edward Norton, Natasha Bedingfield, Stacy Bendet, Christian Siriano